News, views and rumours relating to Manchester United in the past 24 hours.
In team news, Manchester United take on Liverpool at Anfield on Sunday. Manager David Moyes could ‘stick’ with his back four from United’s clash with Chelsea on Monday, whilst Phil Jones is expected to recover from his back injury sustained in that game.
Rafael (hamstring), Nani (groin), Jonny Evans (ankle) and Javier Hernandez (hamstring) are still in doubt for Sunday’s game.
Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel could return to action for the first time this season, whilst new signing fullback Aly Cissokho has been ruled out with an ankle injury. Kolo Toure (groin) and Joe Allen (hamstring) are also doubts for the Reds.
Moyes also asserted that Wayne Rooney is ‘mentally ready’ and up for the challenge this weekend after an impressive display against the Blues earlier this week that looked to patch up relations between the club and the England number 10.
"He's looking in good condition and is mentally in good shape," Moyes said.
Liverpool FC apologized after their Twitter account ‘mocked’ the Munich air disaster in which eight United players and 15 others lost their lives in 1958.
The Merseyside club are ‘investigating’ after a fan posted a mock music playlist that included songs aimed to ‘poke fun’ at the tragedy.
The Mirror are running a special look back at the archives of ‘classic encounters’ between United and Liverpool, which you can find here.
David Moyes ‘remains keen’ on bolstering his squad with new signings as we head into the final days of the transfer window, which closes at 11pm on Monday night.
"I don't know how busy it's going to be but it's a busy football market," he explained.
"It might be busy in the next few days and I hope we do a little bit of business but I couldn't guarantee that."
“We have been after two or three players. We have tried to go for them. Some of them we are still in with a shout with and some we are not,” added the Scot.
In transfer news, Everton have rejected a ‘fresh bid’ of £38 million for Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines from United, according to reports.
The combined offer for the Toffees stars has been rejected, despite suggestions the players are eager to move to Old Trafford to reunite with former boss David Moyes with reports asserting the deal could ‘go to the wire’ as we approach deadline day on Monday.
The Mirror claims that Everton want £25 million each for the pair which would represent a substantial increase of more than £10 million on United’s recent offer.
Toffees boss Roberto Martinez ‘warned’ the pair ‘the grass is not greener’ over the potential switch to the English champions.
"Every time you have a good player, if you're going to expect to lose him because they think that the grass is always greener elsewhere, it's a challenge,” Martinez stated.
Meanwhile, Athletic Bilbao confirmed they have rejected a bid for Ander Herrera from United last night. The 24-year-old midfielder will not be allowed to leave the Spanish capital unless his release clause of €36 million is met.
Elsewhere, Real Madrid and Brazil star Kaka has issued a ‘come and get me plea’ to United and Arsenal, as the Spanish giants await the ‘imminent’ arrival of Tottenham’s Gareth Bale which could trigger an exodus of attacking midfielders at the Bernabeu.
“The club know that I would like to go and that I would like them to help me find a way out. [Carlo] Ancelotti knows, Florentino [Perez] knows, everyone at the club knows and I hope that between now and Monday a solution is found,” explained the 31-year-old who cost £56 million from AC Milan in a world record-breaking deal back in 2009.
Kaka’s Madrid teammate, however, Mesut Ozil has ‘no qualms’ over challenging Bale for his place in Carlo Ancelotti’s side, despite interest from United and Arsenal for the German playmaker.
"At Real Madrid, we are happy with every player who strengthens the team," Ozil told German paper Bild.
"That's why I do not have any problems with the signing of Bale.”
"There's always competition for places when you play at a big club like Real Madrid. I know how to deal with it. I will never leave a club due to the stiff competition for places,” he added.
Other reports have emerged that United are set to ‘make a move’ for Daniele Di Rossi of Roma. The 30-year-old Italian midfielder is valued around £10 million and has been linked with the Red Devils several times this year.
In other news, striker Robin van Persie was voted Player of the Month for August by fans on the club’s official website.
image: © birasuegi