Following reports yesterday that Chelsea were readying a new deal for Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney – to be submitted after the two club’s clashed on Monday evening – the Mirror claims United have sent the Blues a letter warning against it.
The story claims United chief executive Ed Woodward has written a “terse” letter, asking for no further bids to be submitted.
That said, the champions have again been linked with a Chelsea’s Juan Mata, with ESPN claiming they have made informal inquiries about a possible transfer.
Jose Mourinho has previously dismissed claims the Spaniard will be leaving. And yet if the stories are true that he is keen on hijacking Tottenham’s deal for Brazilian Willian, Mata’s future may not be as clear-cut as previously thought.
The Mirror claims Roman Abramovich has personally called the owner of Willian’s current club, Anzhi Makhachkala, and offered £32million for the player; this despite him already completing a medical at White Hart Lane.
Should Willian move to the Blues, Mata’s starting place would be under more threat than ever. Although as with much at this time of year, it is all speculation.
The Daily Mail claims United target Marouane Fellaini is keen on a move to Old Trafford this summer, fearing his price-tag could increase further should he enjoy a successful World Cup.
Everton have so far rejected all approaches from David Moyes for both Fellaini and Leighton Baines, but the United boss is expected to return with a better offer in due course.
Not that Roberto Martinez would appreciate that. The Everton manager has spoken out about United’s summer dealings...or lack of them.
“I have never seen Manchester United working in this manner before,” he said. “When you want a player you just do the business quietly.
“I don’t know if this is a new way of working. I don’t expect a new bid. We’re not in that position. There isn’t an offer on the table where anyone would consider anything.”
United fans will hope that changes prior to the transfer window closing.
image: © Wshjackson