Manchester United latest: Including Rooney and Chelsea

David Moyes

News, views and rumours relating to Manchester United in the past 24 hours.

Manchester United manager David Moyes has admitted the club ‘needs new signings’ but insisted he does not feel under pressure to bring in new additions. United have so far signed only youngster Guillermo Varela.

“There is a need to do it but there's no pressure to do it," Moyes said.

"It's something we've been talking about since I took the job on 1 July. I have an idea of where I'd like to strengthen but we won't do it because people tell us we should be signing players.

"If the right players are available, great. But if not, the first thing we'll do is encourage our own young players in the squad to do as well as they did last year," added the Scot.

However, the M.E.N is running the story that Moyes admits ‘no signings’ is a possible outcome of the summer.

In team news, Moyes updated the press on United’s injury concerns ahead of Monday night’s clash with Chelsea at Old Trafford – fullback Rafael could be out for up to four weeks with a hamstring injury.

"Rafa picked up an injury in the Community Shield game so we've lost him for three or four weeks," Moyes told reporters.

"We have one or two coming back from injury - the likes of Nani, Ashley Young and Chicharito. They're still recovering.”

An official preview of United’s clash with the Blues next week can be found on their official website here.

In transfer news, United are trying to ‘stamp out’ Chelsea’s interest in Wayne Rooney following reports that the Blues had made a third bid for the England number 10.

According to reports, United chief executive Ed Woodward warned Chelsea Roman Abramovich in writing, maintaining the club’s stance that the 27-year-old striker is not for sale.

Meanwhile, the Daily Mail claims Marouane Fellaini remains hopeful of a move to United from Everton following and unsuccessful bid from the Red Devils this week for Fellaini and his Toffees teammate Leighton Baines of £28 million.

This comes as Everton boss Roberto Martinez asserted his belief that the transfer market is getting ‘out of hand’.

The same source claims Real Madrid have offered United Mesuit Ozil for £38 million ahead of the imminent arrival of Gareth Bale at the Bernabeu.

In other news, United defender Jonny Evans has ‘backed’ Danny Welbeck to ‘shine’ this term for the Red Devils following the young England striker’s brace against Swansea last week at the Liberty Stadium in United’s season opener.

image: © Jason Gulledge

Register for MANCHESTER UNITED team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch