Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany has been ruled out of action for at least one month after suffering a groin injury in the 4-0 win against Newcastle United on Monday night.
Kompany joins fellow centre-back Micah Richards in the treatment room and manager Manuel Pellegrini has not ruled out making a new signing in that position.
Speaking at his press conference ahead of Sunday’s game at Cardiff City, Pellegrini said that any new recruits will be to improve the squad and not as a direct result of the loss of their captain.
'I prefer the doctor has the final word on this but I think he will be out for at least one month. If we do strengthen [at centre back] it will not just be because of Vincent’s injury. We have a very good squad and we see what happens.
'Today or tomorrow we will know exactly how long Vincent will be out for.'
City may still be without Majtec Nastasic who has been recovering from an ankle injury whilst Micah Richards is still sidelined.
Kompany’s injury also threatens to rule him out of the Manchester derby on September 22 at the Etihad Stadium but the injury problems at centre-half may lead to a new signing.
Pepe and Martin Demichils are two players that have been lately linked with a move to City – Pellegrini has worked with Pepe previously during his time at Real Madrid but Real have said they have no desire to sell the Portugal international.
Pellegrini worked with Demichils at Malaga – and at River Plate beforehand – though the defender has recently moved to Atletico Madrid, with the club demanding £4.26m since the player signed a one-year deal at the club as a free agent.
image: © pigpilot