Here's a note of 11 things that happened this day in history.
1. 1305 - William Wallace (aka Braveheart) is executed by the English
2. 1799 – Napoleon leaves Egypt for France en route to seize power
3. 1839 - Hong Kong is taken by the British in a war with China
4. 1927 - Nicola Sacco and Bartolemeo Vanzetti are executed in Boston for the murder of two men during a 1920 robbery
5. 1940 - German Luftwaffe begin night bombing London
6. 1944 - An American Liberator bomber crashes into English village school leaving 35 children and 20 others dead
7. 1962 - John Lennon marries Cynthia Powell at the Mount Pleasant Registry Office in Liverpool. They were divorced on November 8, 1968
8. 1963 - The Beatles release She Loves You
9. 1993 - It is confirmed by Los Angeles police that Michael Jackson is the subject of a criminal investigation
10. 1996 – Osama bin Laden issues the message entitled 'A declaration of war against the Americans occupying the land of the two holy places.'
11. 2006 – Natascha Kampusch, who had been abducted at the age of 10, manages to escape from her captor Wolfgang Priklopil, after 8 years of captivity
Source: BBC, Wikipedia, historyorb.com, infoplease.com, history.co.uk, brainyhistory.com, on-this-day.com
image: © Wikipedia