Widespread reports claim Manchester United will receive a third bid from Chelsea for Wayne Rooney…but not until after Monday’s clash between the two sides.
Speaking after Chelsea’s 2-1 victory over Aston Villa last night, Jose Mourinho said of a possible bid for Rooney, “I don’t want Chelsea to do it before we go there (Old Trafford).
“I think this period, by the ethical point of view, is a period where we’re going to be quiet.”
The Mirror claims United will be open to the transfer, if they manage to make some signings of their own. But the way their transfer window has gone so far, that is a big if.
The story says David Moyes has made his stance clear to Chelsea officials, and that he is planning both an improved bid for Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines, while he still hopes to bring in an attacking midfielder to play behind Robin van Persie.
That United already have Shinji Kagawa has been completely ignored by the Mirror’s story; just as the player continues to be ignored by United managers past and present...at least in his favoured position.
The Express reports that United have suffered a blow in their pursuit of Luka Modric, with the news that Real Madrid’s Xabi Alonso will miss up to three months of the season with a fractured metatarsal.
In the Spaniard’s absence, Carlo Ancelotti is said to be unwilling to let the Croatian go in this transfer window.
And finally, having already turned down Valencia this summer, Javier Hernandez is now being linked with a possible move to Roma, should the Italians fail to sign Chelsea’s Demba Ba.
Although recent quotes from the Mexican frontman suggest he is destined to remain at United for the long haul.
image: © eschipul