Here's a note of 11 things that happened this day in history.
1. 1485 - Richard III is killed at the Battle of Bosworth and Henry VII becomes the first king of the Tudor dynasty
2. 1642 - The English Civil War began when Charles I called Parliament and its soldiers traitors.
3. 1864 - The first Geneva Convention is adopted.
4. 1902 - Theodore Roosevelt became the first United States President to ride in an automobile.
5. 1932 - The BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) began its first TV broadcast in England.
6. 1962 - French President Charles de Gaulle narrowly escaped an assassination attempt.
7. 1972 - Due to its racial policies, Rhodesia was asked to withdraw from the 20th Olympic Summer Games.
8. 1979 - Led Zeppelin released their last album - In Through The Out Door.
9. 1985 - 55 people were killed in a fire aboard a British Airtours charter jet on a runway in England.
10. 1989 - Black Panther co-founder Huey P. Newton was shot to death in Oakland, California.
11. 2011 – Libyan rebels storm the capital of Tripoli, signifying the end to the four-decade regime under rule of Muammar Gaddafi.
Image © Trodel
Source: BBC, Wikipedia, historyorb.com, infoplease.com, history.co.uk, brainyhistory.com, on-this-day.com