Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has revealed he still wants to sign a striker before the transfer window closes. The Blues have already had two failed bids for Wayne Rooney this summer, but the Portuguese’s comments suggested he may not have given up just yet.
“I won’t name players who belong to other clubs,” he said. “We go direct to the club.
“We will try until the last day of the transfer window to add a new player to the squad. A striker.”
Whether that means he will return for the England striker is something that will be revealed in due course, although Michael Carrick certainly hopes not.
The Daily Star has published quotes from the midfielder encouraging Rooney to remain at Old Trafford.
Speaking after the 4-1 victory over Swansea, Carrick said, “He’s a big Manchester United player. He’s one of us and we all stick together.”
“When we’re on the pitch we fight for each other and do what we can for Wayne. He’s given this club an awful lot so the fans support him and we support him.”
Rooney cut an isolated figure at times during and after Saturday’s match. But Carrick’s comment go a long way to showing what his teammates think of him and how important he is to the club.
In further news, the Liverpool Echo runs with an exclusive this morning, claiming David Moyes has offered £28million for his former Everton players Marouane Fellaini and Leighton Baines.
Baines was the subject of a failed bid from United earlier in the transfer window, while Fellaini has long been considered a potential target as Moyes seeks to strengthen his midfield.
The report claims Everton were “outraged” by the offer and quickly dismissed it, with United valuing Fellaini at £16million and Baines at £12million.
The offer for the Belgian is particularly low considering his release-clause was £23million up until the start of this month.
United’s latest bid is said to have come last Thursday and it remains to be seen if they will return with a new offer prior to 2 September.
image: © gordonflood