Report: Arsenal miss out on Gustavo as he chooses Wolfsburg

Bayern Allianz Arena

A report has claimed Arsenal are to miss out on Luiz Gustavo.

Luiz Gustavo was claimed last week to be the object of Wolfsburg's affections, as they aimed to secure the Brazilian from Bayern Munich.

Now it is being reported in Germany that the defensive midfielder has chosen to sign with the club, snubbing both Arsenal and Napoli.

German newspaper Die Welt writes:

"The transfer of the Brazilian Luiz Gustavo from Treble-winners Bayern Munich for Bundesliga rivals Wolfsburg seems perfect.

"According to information from Die Welt the midfielder will go with immediate effect to the Lower Saxony. There, the 26-year-old is supposed to get a long-term contract."

The paper add however that Wolfsburg are yet to confirm the news officially.

You can read the report here.

Wolfsburg said earlier this week that a move to Arsenal would interest him, but also said that any new club would have to be one where he was guaranteed first team football, essential if he is to win a place in Brazil's World Cup team.

Gustavo is currently scheduled to make an announcement on his future on Thursday.

This news certainly makes it appear as though he will not be declaring a switch to North London, rather a desire to remain in the Bundesliga.

Arsenal fans, what do you think of the news?

image: © cooperman13

Register for ARSENAL team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch