A round-up of news and views relating to Chelsea over the past 24 hours.
Kevin De Bruyne believes that he can secure a first team place at Chelsea despite the competition for places in his position, and hopes that his fine performances in pre-season will have impressed Jose Mourinho:
“I know that the squad is packed with quality and that competition for places is intense but I also know that I can do it,” he said.
“I’m a very confident person. During pre-season training, I was able to show what I could bring to the team — that was important."
Reports in Spain have suggested that David Luiz has told Chelsea he would like to move to Barcelona this summer. The Blues have already rejected an offer of around £25million for the defender, who is now Barcelona’s number one target this transfer window, and Mourinho has previously said he would not allow Luiz to leave.
There is also speculation that Chelsea have set a price-tag of £43million for the Brazilian, a fee that would be the world record for a defender beating the £37million PSG paid for Thiago Silva, who was apparently Barcelona’s first choice defender target this summer before he decided to stay at the Ligue 1 champions.
Manchester United will not consider selling Wayne Rooney to Chelsea at any price, with the Premier League champions determined to keep the unsettled striker this summer. United have already rejected two bids from Chelsea, who were expected to continue their attempts to sign Rooney until the end of the transfer window.
Steve Bruce is looking forward to Hull City’s trip to Chelsea this weekend, and the Tigers’ manager is pleased that Jose Mourinho opted to return to the Premier League this summer:
"There's always a good story when Jose's around. He's a proper football man.” Bruce told Sky Sports News.
"He was with all the other Premier League managers in London on Monday and I think we're all delighted to see him again.”
Anzhi Makhachkala’s financial turmoil could see Samuel Eto’o targeted by Chelsea as an alternative to Wayne Rooney this summer, with the striker admitting yesterday he would like to link up with Mourinho again.
Chelsea youngster Lucas Piazon believes that he has made the right decision by joining Vitesse Arnhem on loan this season. The 19-year-old spent the second half of last year at Malaga, and was unlikely to feature for Chelsea’s first team.
On HITC today we look at reports suggesting Samuel Eto’o will not leave Russia this summer, and ask who will feature in Chelsea’s first eleven against Hull. We also look at whether Mourinho can win the Champions League with Chelsea.
image: © vagueonthehow