Here's a note of 11 things that happened this day in history.
1. 1865 - Disinfectant was used for the first time during surgery by Joseph Lister
2. 1964 - Great Train robber Charlie Wilson, part of the gang who pulled off the 1963 Great Train Robbery, escapes from prison
3. 1964 - The author of James Bond, Ian Fleming, died
4. 1964 - South Africa were barred from the Olympic Games in Tokyo over its refusal to condemn apartheid
5. 1971 - Tennis legend Pete Sampras is born
6. 1972 - The last American combat troops left Vietnam
7. 1981- IBM introduces its first Personal Computer
8. 1990 - The skeleton of the largest ever Tyrannosaurus Rex is discovered
9. 1998 - Swiss banks agreed to pay $1.25 billion as restitution to World War II Holocaust victims
10. 2005 - Sri Lanka's foreign minister, Lakshman Kadirgamar, is fatally shot by an LTTE sniper at his home
11. 2010 - Director of Wikileaks, Julian Assange, announces plans to release remaining Afghan WarDiary documents.
Source: BBC, Wikipedia, historyorb.com, infoplease.com, history.co.uk, brainyhistory.com, on-this-day.com
Image © Dave McLear