Despite reports to the contrary, Manchester United manager David Moyes claims there is no rift between him and striker Wayne Rooney. This comes after the England forward was ruled out of this afternoon’s Community Shield match against Wigan with a shoulder injury.
Revealing that Rooney trained with the first team yesterday, Moyes said he was pleased the player had been called up to the England squad.
With doubts continuing over the player’s future, teammate Robin van Persie has also had his say, claiming the opportunity to play with Rooney was one of the reasons he joined the club.
“Everyone wants Wayne to stay and deep down I think he feels the same,” the Dutchman told the Sun.
“One of the reasons I joined Manchester United was to play with Wayne.”
The irony could be that van Persie’s presence ultimately forces the England player out of the club – given his reported desire to play as an out-and-out front-man.
From potential outgoings to possible arrivals, with the Express claiming Moyes is ready to improve his bid for Everton’s Leighton Baines.
United had a £12million offer rejected earlier this summer, but the left-back is believed to be one of the club’s top transfer targets.
Another defender long-linked with a switch to Old Trafford is Benfica’s Ezequiel Garay.
Unconfirmed reports were of a gentleman’s agreement allowing the player to move to United this summer. But those stories have since disappeared, with Moyes seemingly focused on midfield reinforcements.
And yet the Daily Star Sunday claims United are refusing to pay to the full asking price of £21.5million, instead offering just £12.9million up front with the rest in performance-related add-ons.
For his part Garay is focused only on his current club, and is quoted as saying he has heard nothing official from United.
image: © wonker