Here is a note of 11 things that on happened this day in history.
1. 1588 - English forces attack the Spanish Armada, permanently crippling Spain's 'invincible' fleet
2. 1940 - The German Luftwaffe begins a series of daylight air raids on Great Britain
3. 1945 - The United Nations Charter is signed by U.S. President Truman
4. 1963 - Some 15 thieves rob the Glasgow-to-London mail train, making off with more than £6m. The legend of 'the Greta Train Robbery' begins
5. 1969 - Sharon Tate, wife of director Roman Polanski, and four others are murdered by members of Charles Manson's 'family'
6. 1974 - Richard Nixon announces he is to step down as President of the United States - the first man ever to do so
7. 1988 - The Duke and Duchess of York announce the birth of their first child, Beatrice Elizabeth Mary
8. 1991 - John McCarthy, Britain's longest-held hostage in Lebanon, is set free after more than five years in captivity
9. 2000 - In Portugal, Oasis walks off stage for the second time in two weeks when drummer Alan White is hit by a rock
10. 2001 - Hollywood's 'golden couple', Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman, announce they are getting divorced
11. 2008 - The Summer Olympic Games opens in Beijing, China
Source: BBC, Wikipedia, historyorb.com, infoplease.com, history.co.uk, brainyhistory.com, on-this-day.com, thepeopleshistory