News, views and rumours relating to Manchester United in the past 24 hours.
In team news, Manchester United have announced the squad that travels to Sweden where the Red Devils face AIK Fotball.
Travelling squad:Lindegaard, Amos; Rafael, Evans, Evra, Jones, Smalling, Vidic; Anderson, Bebe, Carrick, Giggs, Nani, Zaha; Henriquez, Kagawa, van Persie, and Welbeck.
Wayne Rooney is out of the squad after suffering a shoulder injury. However boss David Moyes assured fans it was not ‘serious’.
"Wayne hurt his shoulder in a fall during a match on Saturday," Moyes said.
"It's not too serious and I don't expect it to keep him out for too long.”
"I'm disappointed he's missing the game because we were keen to get him back involved and ready to play," added the Scot.
United midfielder Darren Fletcher is ‘worried’ Wayne Rooney will leave the club as he continues to fight himself fit for the new season.
"You do worry he'll leave because he's a fantastic football player, but you leave that to Wayne and the club," Fletcher told Sky Sports News.
In transfer news, United confirmed they have rejected a second bid for Rooney from Chelsea, understood to have been under £30 million, according to reports.
"A bid was received yesterday and immediately rejected. Our position remains that he is not for sale," an official club spokesperson told the Press Association.
Meanwhile, former United star, Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo admitted his contract has not been ‘resolved’ with his club. The 28-year-old fans’ favourite has yet to agree to the terms of a new contract to keep him at the Bernabeu, leaving the door open for speculation over his future.
"The situation still hasn't been resolved and I don't think now is the right time to talk about it,” stated the Portuguese international.
"Perhaps we'll be able to give more concrete news about this further down the line but now the only thing in my remit is to train and work."
Barcelona sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta claims that United have ‘given up’ on their pursuit of Cesc Fabregas.
"They have renounced his signing. We aren't going to sell him," he maintained.
However, the BBC claims United are still keen on signing Fabregas. His former manager at Arsenal where the Spaniard was formerly captain outlined his belief that the 26-year-old midfielder will stay for ‘one more year’ at the Camp Nou.
"What I know is Fabregas will stay one more year at least in Barcelona," said the Frenchman.
"That's the information I have. If that changes, I don't know, but that is what I have been told."
His Barcelona teammates Gerard Pique and Andres Iniesta also expect Fabregas to stay.
“He has always told me that he wants to stay at Barcelona and triumph here," said Pique.
"That's always been his dream and I'm very happy that he's staying. I think he's never been in doubt."
"He's fundamental to this team, he has performed very well for us so far and is going to do the same again next season," Iniesta added.
Back at Old Trafford, new signing Guillermo Varela is ‘open’ to a loan move to gain experience.
"It could be a good solution," he told Tutto Mercato Web.
"I would be able to play continuously for a year but I'd be always thinking about returning to United, who are a club that believed in me."
Elsewhere, The Mirror’s Nooruddean Choudry has described United’s transfer moves this summer as ‘embarrassing’ after failing in their A, B and C plans to sign new players.
In other news, Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany believes United are title ‘favourites’, despite the rivals and Premier League runners-up’s near-£90 million outlay on new signings this summer under new boss Manuel Pellegrini.
“United won last season so they will be the favourites, then it will be us, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool,” explained the Belgian.
image: © Ines11thiago