A round-up of news and views relating to Newcastle United.
Alan Pardew remains confident that Newcastle United will make moves in the transfer market soon, despite reported hitches in their attempt to sign both of their main striker targets, Bafetimbi Gomis and Darren Bent.
"I'm hoping something happens before Rangers," he told the Journal.
"I think that's a realistic deadline for my team in the background to hopefully get something done. You can only be as confident as the feeling that you're getting, and the feeling I'm getting at the moment is we're pursuing and at the end of the day we'll get something."
However the move for Bent at least looks in danger of completely collapsing, with reports that the striker and his agent were left far from impressed with Newcastle’s approach after a meeting with Joe Kinnear. Newcastle are apparently unwilling to match either Aston Villa’s valuation of Bent, or the striker’s wage demands, leaving Fulham in pole position to sign the 29-year-old.
There is better news with regards to Newcastle’s move for Bafetimbi Gomis, with speculation that Lyon are about to perform a u-turn and accept the Magpies £7million bid for the striker. Newcastle have apparently already agreed personal terms with Gomis, and could finalise a deal before Tuesday’s match with Rangers.
Papiss Cisse returned to action with a goal in Newcastle’s 2-0 win over St Mirren, with the striker recently coming to an agreement with the Magpies to wear the new Wonga-sponsored shirt. There had been fears that Cisse might end up leaving the cub due to the dispute.
There are still reports linking the Senegalese forward with a move away from St James’ Park, with Turkish paper AMK suggesting Trabzonspor are considering an €8million bid for the player. However Cisse is now expected to stay, although he might have concerns about being shifted wide to accommodate a new forward.
Tim Krul could return to action in the friendly against Rangers on Tuesday, with the goalkeeper back in full training for the first time since getting injured in April. Injury limited the Dutch goalkeeper to just 24 league appearances last year.
Dan Gosling has said he is ready to fight for a first team place at Newcastle after his proposed move to Crystal Palace collapsed. Due to injury and competition for places Gosling has made just 16 league appearances in three seasons at Newcastle, but the 23-year-old has vowed to make an impact next year.
image: © mickyb59