Arsenal are reportedly waiting to increase their £40million bid for Luis Suarez until it has been settled whether or not the Uruguayan has a release fee in his contract.
Liverpool rejected Arsenal’s latest bid for the striker of £40million plus one pound, as they consider the clause only means that they have to inform Suarez of the interest shown in him. However the 26-year-old’s advisors believe that a bid of that size would trigger a release clause, and allow Suarez to speak to Arsenal about a move.
Arsenal, who are well aware of the clause. are prepared to wait until the end of the window before trying to complete a deal for Suarez, and whether the relationship between the Uruguayan and Liverpool breaks down in that time could be key in determining his future.
Arsene Wenger has previously indicated he would be interested in using Arsenal’s first option on the midfielder if he did decide to leave the Camp Nou, but Fabregas now looks set to stay at Barcelona after the Spanish side rejected two bids from Manchester United.
Arsenal’s proposed move for Brazilian youngster Bernard has taken another blow as his agent has made it clear he would prefer the 20-year-old to move to Porto.
"I can confirm that the possibility [of joining Porto] is strong, but there is Shakhtar Donetsk, too," Adriano Spodato told Mais Futebol. "It should be between those [clubs]. On Monday or Tuesday there should be something more concrete.
"If it was up to me, Bernard would be a Porto player. I told him that this is the best way.”
Arsenal appeared to be frontrunners for Bernard last week, but it looks like Porto now have the edge, with the Brazilian’s agent keen that the should join a mid-level club rather than make an immediate step up into Europe’s elite where he might not get regular football.
image: © Ines11thiago