Wigan have announced the signing of yet another Honduran and here is all you need to know about him...
Wigan Athletic may have temporarily lost their top flight status, but they haven’t lost their enthusiasm for Honduran footballers, with the news that Juan Carlos Garcia will become the latest player from Honduras to play for the Latics.
Speaking of the move, Wigan manager Owen Coyle said, “Juan is a very talented player, a left-back, powerful and someone we’re very happy to be bringing to the squad.”
Here are five facts about the player:
1) Garcia began his career at Club Deportivo Marathon having come through the youth ranks.
2) After three years in the senior team he moved to fellow Honduran club Olimpia, a name familiar with Latics fans as this was also the club from which Wilson Palacios, Maynor Figueroa and Hendry Thomas were signed.
3) The 25-year-old’s regular and favoured position is left-back, and yet he has also played as a defensive midfielder in the past.
4) Garcia’s international debut came in 2009, in the CONCACAF Gold Cup. He came on as a substitute in a match against Grenada, but has since become a regular starter for his country. This includes four starts and one substitute appearances in this year’s Gold Cup, during which Honduras reached the semi-finals.
5) He may have only scored one international goal to date, but it was a cracker. In a World Cup Qualifier against the USA earlier this year, Garcia netted with a bicycle kick after a corner wasn’t cleared. It was an impressive effort and you can see it below…
image: © illarterate