Manchester United transfer news: Fabregas ‘wants’ move and Ronaldo on radar

Cesc Fabregas Barcelona

A select round-up of transfer news relating to Manchester United, including Cesc Fabregas, Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo.

In the latest completely source-free story regarding Cesc Fabregas, the Barcelona midfielder is said to have told friends he wants a move to Manchester United.

This despite the 26-year-old previously stating, openly, that he had no intention of going anywhere.

The lure of winning a Premier League title and the opportunity of linking up with former teammate Robin van Persie are said to be the motivating factors. And there is certainly something in the rumours given David Moyes’ persistence in pursuing a deal.

That the chase is ongoing, and with Thiago Alcantara’s revelation that United’s interest in him was purely paper-talk, it seems Fabregas is and always has been Moyes primary transfer target. Although why he didn’t move for the former Arsenal man before Thiago signed for Bayern Munich is a question only he can answer.

The report also claims a third bid is imminent, and you sense that it will be make-or-break for the deal.

Other reports claim that even if the Spaniard does arrive at Old Trafford, Wayne Rooney will be going nowhere.

It is claimed the only way the England striker will leave this summer is if a like-for-like signing is made – in this case either Gareth Bale or Cristiano Ronaldo. So surely he is going nowhere then; unless of course Real Madrid sign Bale thus pushing Ronaldo closer to the exit?

That is the scenario being painted by the Manchester Evening News, which claims that any Bale move to the Bernabeu could prompt a battle between United and free-spending PSG for the Portuguese forward.

With just two years left on his contract the arrival of Bale could indeed make Ronaldo a little less important to the team and a little more eager to leave. But it all seems more than a little pie-in-the-sky.

While the transfer window plays out and the falsehoods are sifted from the facts, Jose Mourinho is believed to be biding his time in his pursuit of Rooney.

Having had a bid for the striker rejected earlier this summer, the Chelsea boss has pretty much kept his counsel since then.

But reports claim he is waiting for Moyes to complete his summer business in the hope of securing the 27-year-old before the transfer window closes on September 2.

image: © Ines11thiago

Register for MANCHESTER UNITED team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch