24 hours after Carlo Ancelotti denied a deal had been struck for Gonzalo Higuain, reports in Spain are again cranking up talk of a done deal with Napoli.
Spanish newspaper AS reported late on Monday evening that the financial elements had been agreed.
They write: "Napoli, Higuain and Real Madrid are about to officially announce the deal that sent the Argentine (en) route to Naples."
A €37 million deal is said to have been agreed, with Higuain offered a €6 million a year salary, a €1 million increase on his present deal in Spain.
Napoli have become late bidders in the chase, after selling Edinson Cavani to PSG, which has pushed the Argentine's price up and seemingly beyond what Arsenal are willing to pay.
But AS have an interesting if frustrating line in their report for Arsenal fans, where they discuss that the Gunners were originally the striker's first choice.
"The aim of the player, in principle, was playing at Arsenal, but (it) hit a snag: the Gunners did not exceed 28 million euros. When Arsenal decided to stop there, the player opened the way to Naples and conditions negotiated with the Neapolitan club."
The report linked here says that an official announcement will be due within a couple of days.
AS' reliability is mixed, but the fact they are leading with it on their website as their main story shows it is one they are confident on.
At present Higuain is still on tour with Real Madrid and nothing has so far changed with regard to that. It could well be that his goal against Bournemouth will be his last, and the only goals he nets on English soil in the near future.
We should add however as a caveat; we have been here before. Foreign reports have been linking Higuain with deals, and then flip-flopping, all summer, so following the recent chain of events, we'll await a denial.
If a deal does go ahead, it will certainly be a blow to Arsenal and heighten their pursuit of Luis Suarez. Watch this space.
image: © dundasfc