Manchester United latest: Including new Fabregas bid - and alternatives lined up

Old Trafford 3

News, views and rumours relating to Manchester United in the past 24 hours.

Manchester United striker Robin van Persie believes the Red Devils will be as successful under David Moyes as they were under Sir Alex Ferguson who retired in May after 26 years in charge.

David Moyes is looking forward to working with Shinji Kagawa, hinting that the Japanese international will play a key role in his team next term.

"I'm looking forward to working with him," said Moyes.

"I'm looking forward to getting to know Shinji.Sir Alex told me lots of good things about Shinji. It was his first season in the Premier League last year.

"He's a young player, so we hope his development continues, and I look forward to personally working with him,” added the Scot.

Kagawa outlined himself that he has appoint to prove next term after an unsatisfactory debut season with United in which he struggled with fitness and form.

"It was a tough time for me with a lot going on in my head. I am not happy with my performance for the team at all," he said.

Meanwhile, United favourite Darren Fletcher is hoping to return to action with United imminently after undergoing bowel surgery and continuing his rehabilitation.

Asked on BBC Radio Five when he would be back in action, Fletcher replied:

“Hopefully, not too long after the start of the season. I think I will just miss the beginning of the season.”

However, midfield ace Michael Carrick is a doubt for United upcoming pre-season friendly against Yokohama on Tuesday. The Englishman suffered a groin strain in training but the injury is understood to be minor.

The squad arrived ‘suited and booted’ in Tokyo ahead of games against Tokohama and Cerezo Osaka on Friday. Their attire and luggage was provided by Paul Smith.

In transfer news, the breaking story today is that United have launched a second improved bid for Cesc Fabregas for £30 million to Barcelona.

David Moyes confirmed that the club had been in talks with Barcelona over the former Arsenal captain and that negotiations were underway.

However, Barcelona skipper Carles Puyol insists Fabregas will not leave the Camp Nou. This comes after the club’s vice-president stated last week that the Spaniard was ‘not for sale’.

Barcelona manager Tito Vilanova stepped down as boss due to health concerns and this could have a significant affect on United’s dealings with the Spanish champions.

The Manchester Evening News reports that United have ‘plan B’ targets outlined as potential alternatives should they fail to sign Fabregas. Newcastle’s Yohan Cabaye and Real Madrid’s Luka Modric are reportedly ‘plan B’ solutions for the Red Devils.

Meanwhile, Real Madrid have insisted that Cristiano Ronaldo will not leave the Spanish capital, thwarting United attempts to bring him back to Old Trafford this summer.

In other news, former United coach Rene Meulenstreen has been appointed manager Anzhi Makhachkala.

image: © Gordon Flood

Register for MANCHESTER UNITED team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch