Tottenham Hotspur are preparing a £18million bid for Roberto Soldado after missing out on Christian Benteke, who signed a new contract at Aston Villa last week.
With Benteke and David Villa no longer available, Spurs are running out of targets to bolster their attacking resources, and could make a club record bid for the Spanish international next week.
Soldado scored 24 goals last season, and Valencia have previously indicated he would not be sold for less than his €30million release clause, a fee Spurs are unwilling to pay as they are unlikely to recoup any of that fee due to the Spanish international’s age.
Speaking at a press conference on Friday, Valencia’s sporting director Braulio Vazquez said they were yet to receive a bid for the 28-year-old.
With just Emmanuel Adebayor and Jermain Defoe currently on the books at White Hart Lane, Spurs are keen to sign a striker this summer, with Pablo Osvaldo and Leandro Damiao also rumoured to be targets.
Real Madrid’s new manager Carlo Ancelotti has said he is happy with the squad he inherited from Jose Mourinho at the Bernabeu, and refused to be drawn on links with Gareth Bale.
There has been speculation throughout the summer that Madrid would be prepared to pay a world record fee of over £80million for Bale, but the 24-year-old now looks set to stay at Spurs, with the London club refusing to sell him at any price.
Andre Villas-Boas is the bookies’ favourite to replace Tito Vilanova at Barcelona after the Spaniard stepped down for health reasons.
Villas-Boas has also been linked with moves to PSG and Real Madrid this summer, but has indicated he would like to stay at Spurs and spend more than one season at a club for the first time in his career.
image: © Victor Gutierrez Navarro