1. 'There was a period of remorse and apology for banks. I think that period needs to be over'.
2. 'History will judge Barclays as an incredible institution. I love Barclays, and I love Barclays because of the people'.
3. 'There are 150,000 people at Barclays, we never failed a stress test, we never put the system at risk - we never took a single penny from any taxpayer around the world'.
4. 'I don’t feel personally culpable but I do feel a strong sense of responsibility, a very strong sense when we find mistakes, we recognise them, we are open about them'.
5. 'If you asked me who at Barclays submitted the (LIBOR) rate every day, I wouldn't be able to tell you. I bet you if you asked any chief executive of any bank on the street, they would give you the same answer'.
6. 'We don’t have a boat, we don’t have fancy cars. I think we have lived well, but it hasn’t been about accumulation or anything like that. I never did anything for money. I never set money as a goal. It was a result'.
7. 'It's hard for me to talk about it (his resignation); I've tried to move on'.