Arsenal fans split over the club's 'fear factor'

Wenger Statue

Arsenal fans are split over whether their side will have a fear factor heading into next season according to a Goal.com poll.

Arsenal are a bit of an enigma at the moment because while the club has boasted big financial strength, the big name signings the club has been linked with are yet to arrive as pre-season has got under way.

Of course there is still a lot of time between now and the start of the season but Gunners fans have voted and it seems that some are already having a few doubts over the sort of reputation their team will have over the 2013/2014 season.

Goal.com has run a poll, encouraging fans to vote over whether they feel Arsenal will get their fear factor back this summer and 50.5% have said no with the other 49.5% saying yes.

Arsenal’s fear factor was huge during the days Arsene Wenger was guiding the team to a season unbeaten in the Premier League and when the Gunners were seemingly unbeatable in terms of their consistency and style of play.

You have to take the pill with a pinch of salt because should Arsenal sign Gonzalo Higuain from Real Madrid, add someone like Marouane Fellaini to their midfield and then bring in some defensive support, the poll results would be different.

Furthermore, in certain areas last season they were very strong such as the defence, despite criticism of that area of the side.

It’s impossible for Arsenal to try and recreate those feelings of fear and intimidation that were created by that invincible side and important that the current side concentrates on just making up for the disappointment of the last eight years.

Wenger and his team will do what they do best, which is simply playing good football and if they do that, they will win more games than they draw or lose next season.

An upturn in consistency is a necessity and it’s something which should allow the fear connected to Arsenal to grow organically.

The boss has to bring in some big name players this summer because the financial situation at the club is putting pressure on him to do just that, especially now that Arsenal fans are paying more than they ever have done to watch their side play football.

No side ever gets an easy game against Arsenal because of the ideology that Wenger has created.

If he can add those key signings, keep everyone fit and happy and start with a solid pre-season then this poll would majorly suggest that Arsenal have a huge fear factor, should it be conducted a week before the start of the Premier League season.

What’s Arsenal’s current fear rating? How would you have voted?

image: © dyobmit

Register for ARSENAL team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch