Following reports the Black Cats are close to signing the right-back, here is all you need to know about the player...
The 21-year-old right-back currently plays for Argentinian champions Velez Sarsfield, and his signing would be quite a coup for Paolo Di Canio, as Peruzzi has previously been linked with Manchester City and Inter Milan.
It is being reported that with the clubs’ negotiations complete, now the move rests on the player agreeing personal terms.
The amount Sunderland are willing to pay has not yet been revealed – although talk is of a €4million offer. But Velez Sarsfield’s chairman said, “When this kind of proposal comes, it’s hard to say no. If we turn them down, we might never receive this kind of proposal again.”
Here are five facts about the player:
1) Gino Peruzzi Lucchetti first joined the Velez Sarsfield youth team in 2006, where he remained until his senior debut in November 2011. Able to play at both full-back and on the wing, his debut saw him play on the flank. But since then he has played predominantly in a more defensive position.
2) While Sunderland fans may not have previously heard of Perruzi, they will certainly have heard of Neymar. And if it is any measure of his talent, Peruzzi was hailed for his performances against the Barcelona attacker in both legs of last year’s Copa Libertadores, marking him out of both games only to see his side lose on penalties.
3) Peruzzi has two caps for Argentina and is seen as the long-term right-back for his homeland. His ability to play in a back four, as a wing-back or further up the flank mean Sunderland could be on the verge of signing a player for a number of possibilities.
4) Although his debut season for Sarsfield saw him make only seven starts and a further seven substitute appearances, it was last year when he came into his own. He made 25 starts and four appearances from the bench, scoring his first senior goal.
5) The player’s main strengths are his speed when both attacking and defending, and his ability to read the game. And should he agree to move to the Stadium of Light, Di Canio could have got his hands on a footballing gem.
Are Sunderland fans excited by the prospect of Peruzzi's signing?
image: © Ronnie Macdonald