Ancelotti and Real still hovering on Paulinho, but Spurs in pole position

Paulinho

Tottenham Hotspur have been given hope in their pursuit of Paulinho after he played down rumours of a Real Madrid approach.

A report in Spanish newspaper AS has on Thursday claimed that Carlo Ancelotti will double his efforts to land Paulinho from Corinthians.

The central midfield man has been strongly tipped to make the move to White Hart Lane with Tottenham Hotspur in recent days with the club having already lodged a £17.5 million bid for the player.

However, that deal seems far from done just yet with his future off the agenda officially until he returns from the Confederations Cup, which means Real Madrid have an opportunity to try and ruin the deal for Spurs if Paulinho is a player that Ancelotti really wants.

News broke earlier this week over Real Madrid’s interest but now that the club have appointed a new manager, they could seriously get things moving which is bad news for Andre Villas-Boas.

All Spurs can do is sit back and wait for the player to make a decision but at the moment the ball is in their court as they are talking with the Brazilian club.

The problem comes if Ancelotti specifically demands this player because Florentino Perez has never been afraid to back his managers all the way when it comes to the transfer market.

Paulinho himself has confirmed that there has been that big offer from Tottenham but we won’t know which way this deal is going to go until after the Confederations Cup.

“There is an official offer from Tottenham. I'll decide after the Confederations Cup,” he said via AS.

That’s significant because it saves Tottenham time against Real Madrid, as the initial negotiations are out of the way and have been dealt with.

He added, speaking in Brazil that officially there has been no offer from the Spanish side.

"It's not true about Real Madrid, the only offer that has come is from Tottenham, but I have already said that I will only evaluate it after the Confederations Cup."

Brazil defeated Uruguay last night 2-1, with a goal from the man himself, which puts Brazil into the final delaying any chance of a deal from being agreed quickly.

He’s a player Spurs could use heading into next season because he could quickly find himself becoming the primary defensive midfielder at the club, releasing the more attacking players from their defensive duties.

That makes him even more significant for Tottenham and should encourage AVB and Daniel Levy to give themselves a little bit of leeway to offer more in wages if Real also meet his £17 million release clause.

Real Madrid have already caused Tottenham all sorts of headaches with regards to Gareth Bale and they don’t need this deal going against them as well.

What do you make of the report? Will Spurs need to pay more than £17.5 million?

image: © visualkreator

Register for TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch