Elia currently plays for Werder Bremen in the Bundesliga but there was a reason Arsenal didn’t make a stronger push to sign him back in 2011 and that seems to be because of what happened with him at Juventus.
He played just four games at the Italian club after signing from Hamburg and being swiftly moved on to Werder Bremen.
At one point Elia was considered the most exciting talent to come out of the Netherlands, placed up alongside the likes of Robin van Persie, Wesley Sneijder and Arjen Robben among others.
Brendan Rodgers is now keen to add him to the Liverpool squad according to TalkSport. With a number of wingers at their disposal already and the younger Christian Atsu of Porto linked, this is one move we are certainly not taking at face value.
Here are five facts about him.
1) He was a product of the ADO Den Haag where he spent nine years, with a brief move to Ajax sandwiched in between.
2) He was sold in 2007 as a result of discipline problems he had with his manager at ADO Den Haag. However, he won the Dutch Footballer of the Year award with Twente.
3) He turned down the chance to stay in the Netherlands in 2009, rejecting approaches from Ajax and PSV Eindhoven to go and play for Hamburg in the Bundesliga.
4) He was in the Netherlands’ 2010 World Cup squad, which made it to the final of that tournament before losing out to Spain in a tense match.
5) He is rated by Juventus fans as one of their worst ever players, playing four times and not scoring a goal. He was also in trouble with the police during his time with the club, after he was caught speeding, prolonging his history of problems with authority.
He did score some stunning goals, take a look in the video below.
What do you reckon? Is he worth the risk for Liverpool?
image: © neate photos