Rose said he was reluctant to withdraw from the event, which he won in 2010, but conceded that the last three weeks "have been extremely demanding both mentally and physically". He added: "This tournament has been very good to me, especially in 2010, and I would play if I felt I could."
Rose had been able to honour a commitment to play in the Travelers Championship in Connecticut in the week after his US Open triumph and finished joint 13th. However, he said tiredness had now caught up with him.
Tiger Woods has also pulled out of the AT&T, which begins on Tuesday, due to an elbow injury. However, there is still a strong field for the $6.5m tournament, headed by the Masters champion, Adam Scott. Had Rose been able to appear, it would have been the first time in the event's seven-year history that both the reigning Masters and US Open champions had played.
guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media Limited 2010