Here is a note of 11 things that happened on this day in history
1. 1756 - British soldiers are thrown into a cell known as 'the Black Hole of Calcutta'.
2. 1837 - Victoria becomes Queen of Great Britain
3. 1923 - France announces it will seize the Rhineland to assist Germany in paying its war debts
4. 1949 - Singer Lionel Richie is born
5. 1967 - Muhammad Ali is convicted of violating Selective Service laws by refusing to be drafted.
6. 1967 - Actress Nicole Kidman is born
7. 1975 - The movie Jaws is released
8. 1976 - Hundreds of Americans and Britons are moved from Beirut and taken to safety in Syria by the US military, following the murder of the US ambassador
9. 1980 - It's Still Rock & Roll To Me becomes Billy Joel's first US #1 hit
10. 1984 - The biggest exam shake-up for over 10 years in the UK is announced, with O-Level and CSE exams to be replaced
11. 1990 - British Chancellor John Major proposes a new European currency which would circulate alongside existing national currencies
Source: BBC, Wikipedia, historyorb.com, infoplease.com, history.co.uk, brainyhistory.com, on-this-day.com, thepeopleshistory