Back in 2011, Spain won the European under-21 championship with a dazzling team which included Juan Mata and Javi Martinez, with Thiago Alcantara also having a starring role.
So when the Barcelona man was asked to participate again this summer along with Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea, he may have wondered if he could live up to the same high standard.
Then again, failure is not something anybody associated with Spain nor Barcelona consider, and Thiago likely consider - with the midfielder instrumental in the 2013 side's success.
He has been linked with a transfer to Manchester United, due to a buyout clause in his contract which could see him quit Barcelona, and even taking his hat-trick in the final against Italy aside, Thiago has been truly dominant.
Here are a look at some key stats from the UEFA tournament in Israel which reflect his influence on the title-winning side.
* Thiago completed 395/424 passes at the tournament, attempting more than any other midfield player, at an average of 84 per game.
* With 12 successful dribbling attempts, only one player completed more - teammate Isco.
* Thiago completed six successful through balls, more than any player in the tournament.
* His long passing was just as accurate as his short passing, completed eight accurate long balls per game, 41 in total - more than any other player.
* Thiago made more interceptions than any other Spanish player apart from left-back Alberto Moreno, with 12 in total.
* Thiago was the highest rated player at the whole tournament for overall performance, according to statistical analysts whoscored.com
How important is Thiago's choice to both Barcelona and Manchester United?
image: © fdecomite