The Saints have signed Lyon's 23-year-old centre-back. Here is all you need to know...
Having agreed a four-year deal the 23-year-old Croatian said, “I have it in my mind to do something big, and I see the same thing in the club.
“We are a young team and I am a young player also, so I hope I will stay here for a long time.”
Here are five facts about the player:
1) After playing in the youth teams of Croatian side NK Karlovac, Lovren moved to Dinamo Zagreb in 2004. Two years later he made his senior debut for the club, although he subsequently spent two years on loan at Inter Zapresic.
2) Having been a regular for his loan side, the defender returned to Zagreb and secured a place in the starting-11. He also began to find the net – scoring three goals in his first season.
3) Lovren moved to Lyon in January 2010 for €9.5million. While he played the second half of that season mainly as a substitute, it was the following year when his playing time increased significantly, as he made 28 appearances in Ligue 1.
4) His particular strengths are his passing and his ability in the air. However, one significant weakness the Saints will hope is a thing of the past is his disciplinary record. Last season he picked up three red cards in the league, two of which were immediate dismissals and the other a result of two bookings.
5) Lovren has represented his country at every level from under-17 to the senior side. He has 17 international caps to date, and has two goals, the most recent of which came against Wales in March’s World Cup Qualifier.
Do you think Lovren is a good signing for the club? And who will make way for him in the starting 11?
image: © jasonparis