New gaming consoles unveiled at the industry's E3 event show one clear winner in the battle between Microsoft and Sony, Michael Pachter of Wedbush Securities says.
"I think actually, it's about the consoles because the software was really impressive," he said.
"Microsoft didn't do a very good job of explaining to consumers why they need to spend an extra $100 to get a camera and microphone array. Sony exploited that. They charged $100 less than Microsoft, so right now they're the winner."
(Read More: Sony PS4 Beats Microsoft's Xbox One-Pricewise )
On CNBC's " Fast Money ," Pachter said, "PlayStation won the first skirmish."
In response to a question whether Microsoft had shot itself in the foot by requiring an internet connection for its Xbox One, Pachter said, "Big time."
"Microsoft is trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist," he said, adding that gamers "don't want Big Brother looking over their shoulder and forcing them to log on. It really is complicated."
(Read More: Sony's PlayStation 4: Streaming, Social & Mobile )
The new PS4 also meant good news for retailer GameStop , Pachter added.
"I think that what really matters for GameStop is that both consoles are going to allow disk sales," he said. "They both have disk drives. They're both going to use physical media. And so, GameStop's going to be around until disks are eliminated."
Pachter also sounded positive on new game titles from Activision and Electronic Arts.
"I think it's going to be a fun year," he said.
(Read More: Winners and Losers From E3 Video Game Show )
- Microsoft May Have Flubbed Xbox Price
- Sony’s PlayStation 4: Streaming, Social & Mobile
- Play Again? Winners & Losers From E3
- GameStop: E3's Stealth Winner
- ‘A Great Trading Summer’: Pro
- Stocks Turn, Rally—So Now What?
- A Question Mark on Japan: Pimco CEO
- Apple to Step Up iPhone Size: Pro
- QE’s ‘Ticking Time-Bomb’: Pro
- Not All Bonds Are Created Equal: Pro
- Don’t Focus on Volatility: Strategist
- A Wait-and-See Approach for Stocks
- Julia Boorstin Previews Xbox One
image: © KWDesigns