The 22-year-old is thought to be the subject of a £5 million offer from the Gunners, after his parent club Benfica confirmed there had been official interest in the 22-year-old.
The news may not excite Arsenal fans just days after the club’s chief executive Ivan Gazidis boasted about the club’s financial future but it could be a very shrewd move by Arsene Wenger which benefits the Gunners in several ways.
It’s also baffling why the club appear to be going after another left back when they already have Nacho Monreal and Kieran Gibbs tied down on long term deals.
Here is a little more about him.
1) He has a remarkable goalscoring record for a full back with 28 goals in 101 senior games across his career, but there is more to it - before playing at Benfica he was a left-winger in South America.
2) He has a release clause of €30 million in his current contract with Benfica, which expires in the summer of 2018.
3) He made his debut for the Paraguayan national side last season in November during the 3-1 win over Guatemala.
4) He had a passing percentage of over 70% in both the Champions League and Europa League with Benfica last season.
5) He has only ever suffered heartbreak as a player with two runners-up honours; the Europa League last season and Taca de Portugal, the main knock out cup tournament in Portuguese football.
Take a look at his skills in the video below.
A good signing or another underwhelming prospect?