The teenage forward is attracting attention from the Gunners for his impressive performances and goals in the Serbian league and the impact he’s made at Under-21 level for his country.
Mitrovic bagged ten goals and three assists from 25 league games last season, making eight appearances as a substitute. Scoring 15 in all competitions.
He’s a very versatile striker, who can score goals in a variety of different situations. We’ve found a video of five of his best efforts with a short description on each.
1) The first goal on the video should remind all Arsenal fans of a certain Thierry Henry because it’s almost an exact replica of the common finish the Frenchman produced on a regular basis.
Mitrovic shows a superb ability to drift out wide before controlling the ball, cutting back in and producing a very cool finish past the goalkeeper.
2) The second goal on the video is a superb piece of aerial skills. It’s important for Mitrovic to have a strong aerial side to his game because although Arsenal are a passing team, it shows he can compete physically against some big defenders.
This goal also shows his improvisational skills because it’s a deft little header while under pressure from more than one defender looking to get him out of the equation.
3) The third goal on the video showcases his improvisational skills on the floor, as he reacts superbly to take advantage of some poor defending.
He seems to be a striker who plays at the very top of the attack and if that’s how Arsenal use him, he needs to show that ability to pounce on the smallest of errors from the opposition and finish after the tiniest mistake.
4) The fourth goal on the video is arguably his best because he shows great skill alongside a superb finish.
Plenty of strikers would panic in that situation instead of waiting for the defender to slide in, controlling the ball and firing home from a tight angle. It truly is a stunning goal from such a young man.
5) The final goal on the video should remind Arsenal fans of that famous Dennis Bergkamp goal, where the Dutchman flicked the ball, spun round and then slotted the ball into the corner of the goal.
This effort isn’t quite as good but it’s still a great piece of skill to lift the ball over the defender and fire home.
Which goal do you think is best?
image: © michael hilton