Here's a note of 11 things that happened this day in history.
1. 1806 - The Holy Roman Empire went out of existence as Emperor Francis II abdicated
2. 1881 - Sir Alexander Fleming was born
3. 1928 - Andy Warhol was born
4. 1945 - Atom bomb dropped on Hiroshima
5. 1948 - Fanny Blankers-Koen (Netherlands) is 1st women to win 3 Olympics golds.
6. 1962 - Jamaica gains independence from Britain
7. 1965 - Lyndon Johnson signs Voting Rights Act, guaranteeing voting rights for blacks
8. 1965 - Beatles release Help album in U.K
9. 1973 - Stevie Wonder was seriously injured in a car accident. He was in a coma for four days
10. 1978 - Pope Paul VI, who led the Roman Catholic Church for 15 years, died after suffering a major heart attack
11. 2003 - Arnold Schwarzenegger announced his candidacy to replace Gray Davis as governor of California
image © cliff1066™
Sources: BBC, Wikipedia, historyorb.com, infoplease.com, history.co.uk, brainyhistory.com