We all love the pure aspects of football, the sort of passes which can split open a defence and cause a beautiful piece of movement to be finished off with a goal.
However, passing football is not all about scoring the best goals. Most of the time it’s about basic efficiency in midfield or playing the ball out from the back to build some pressure over the opposition.
We all remember the great passes of the season whether it’s Wayne Rooney’s long ball to Robin van Persie for that volley or some ridiculous 50 yard cross field pass that Steven Gerrard has played at Anfield.
Needless to say most of the names are from sides who base the majority of their play around keeping the ball on the ground and working it through to the front men to try and exploit space and weaknesses in the opposition.
We’ve taken a look at the percentages and there could be a few names in the top ten best passers from the season which may surprise you (courtesy of whoscored.com).
1) Ki Sung-Yueng (Swansea City) – 92.7% accurate
2) Jamie Carragher (Liverpool) – 92% accurate
3) Mikel Arteta (Arsenal) – 91.5% accurate
4) Per Mertesacker (Arsenal) – 91.5% accurate
5) Leon Britton (Swansea City) – 91.4% accurate
6) Mousa Dembele (Tottenham Hotspur) – 90.9% accurate
7) Samir Nasri (Manchester City) – 90.7% accurate
8) Martin Skrtel (Liverpool) – 90.5% accurate
9) Giorgos Karagounis (Fulham) – 90.3% accurate
10) Tom Cleverley (Manchester United) – 90.2% accurate
What do you make of that top ten?