Always on the lookout for the next transfer market bargain, Manchester United certainly know how to spot a good South American full-back, as evidenced by Rafael da Silva.
The Brazilian could soon face competition after it was reported today that Guillermo Varela would start a two-week trial at Manchester United.
So who is he and what do you need to know about him?
Here's the lowdown...
1) Guillermo Varela hails from Uruguay and is a 20-year-old right-back.
2) He is presently owned by Uruguayan giants Penarol, five-times Copa Libertadores winners.
3) Varela is preparing to represent his country at the FIFA Under-20 World Cup in Turkey this summer.
4) Despite being coveted by United, Varela is yet to break into the Penarol first team.
5) The deal has been arranged by agent Paul Betancourt, who facilitated the move of Uruguayan midfielder Gaston Ramirez to Southampton last summer.
United fans are you encouraged by the club's worldwide scouting network? Is a trial the best approach?
image: © dullhunk