Here's a note of 11 things that happened on this day in history
1. 1469 - The Italian philosopher and writer Niccolo Machiavelli is born
2. 1937 - Margaret Mitchell wins the Pulitzer Prize in fiction for Gone With the Wind
3. 1951 - King George opens the Festival of Britain
4. 1960 - The Anne Frank House opens as a museum in Amsterdam
5. 1968 - The first heart transplant in Britain is carried out at the National Heart Hospital in Marylebone, London
6. 1969 - Jimi Hendrix is arrested when Canadian customs officials find heroin in his bag
7. 1979 - Margaret Thatcher becomes the first woman elected prime minister of England
8. 1986 - A lethal bomb explodes on an Air Lanka passenger jet at Colombo's airport leaving 21 dead and 41 injured.
9. 1986 - Bill Shoemaker becomes the oldest person ( 54 ) to win the famous Kentucky Derby
10. 1991 - The last Dallas episode is shown after running for more than 13 series
11. 2009 - Veronica Lario, the wife of the Italian Prime minister Silvio Berlusconi, announces that she is to divorce her husband.
Source: BBC, Wikipedia, historyorb.com, infoplease.com, history.co.uk, brainyhistory.com, on-this-day.com
image: © Matthew Rutledge