City pulled a rabbit out of the hat last August with the signature of Matija Nastasic, with the Serbian turning out to be one of the buys of the season, appearing as though he has been a veteran of the club's defence for many a year.
His emergence has pushed both Kolo Toure and Joleon Lescott towards the exit door, leading to City being linked this week with Diego Novaretti.
He isn't a player with any previous experience of Premier League football, and one many may not have previously heard of. So who is he?
Here are five facts about him...
1) Novaretti is a 27-year-old centre-back from Argentina, who is uncapped by his country.
2) He holds an Italian passport, which means he does not need a work permit for City to sign him.
3) He plays in Mexico currently for Toluca, where his controversial transfer from Argentine side Rosario Central in 2011 saw him declared as a player the club would 'never accept back' by the board.
4) Novaretti has performed at the highest level in South America, featuring in the Copa Libertadores, the equivalent of the Champions League.
5) He has been sent off eight times in his career to date, half of which were for two bookable offences.
Here he is in action... scoring an own goal
City fans what do you make of the link with Novaretti?