Chelsea latest: Including Swansea team news and Schurrle

Swansea City Celebrate

A round-up of news and views relating to Chelsea over the past 24 hours.

Demba Ba is set to return to Chelsea’s starting line-up for the visit of Swansea on Sunday, and Gary Cahill might also start after a six week injury lay off. Oriol Romeu is the only long-term absentee from Chelsea’s squad.

Swansea have no fresh injury concerns, with Michael Laudrup’s side looking to repeat the 2-0 victory they picked up at Stamford Bridge in the first leg of the Capital One Cup semi-final earlier this season. In three games against Chelsea this season, Swansea have won once and drawn twice, and Michael Laudrup is hoping to get another good result against the Blues this weekend.

Luis Suarez has decided not to appeal the ten match ban handed to him by the FA for biting Branislav Ivanovic in last Sunday’s 2-2 at Anfield. The Uruguayan said he did not want to give the wrong impression by appealing, despite the FA giving smaller punishments in other cases.

David Luiz believes that Chelsea must win all five of their remaining Premier League fixtures if they are to secure a Champions League place for next season. Chelsea are currently in fourth position, one point ahead of Tottenham Hotspur, and one point behind Arsenal with a crucial game with Spurs to come at Stamford Bridge.

Ingo Haspel, the agent of Bayer Leverkusen player Andre Schurrle, has said that he believes the 22 year old could be a Chelsea player by next week:

“I am waiting for final information from either Leverkusen or Chelsea, but there could be some positive news by the end of this weekend, early next week.”

Whilst Eden Hazard has enjoyed a fine first season at Chelsea, his younger brother Thorgan has also been impressing on loan at Zuite Waregem in Belgium. The 20 year old has said he expects to be loaned out again next season, but hopes to play alongside his brother for Chelsea one day.

Arsene Wenger has admitted he is afraid of how Chelsea will approach the summer transfer window, saying that he expects the Blues to be busy despite the talent already present in their squad:

“Even though they already have a great base to their squad, notably their young players such as Oscar, Juan Mata, Ramires and Eden Hazard, I think they will be busy during the transfer window.”

Fiorentina have played down reports suggesting they might be planning a summer move for Fernando Torres, with their sports director Daniele Prade indicating that the Spanish striker would be out of their price range.

image: © swans100

Register for CHELSEA team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch