Manchester United and Liverpool are rivals in every sense, and appear to be squaring up in the race to sign a young centre-back playing the Bundesliga.
His name is Matthias Ginter, who plays for Freiburg, who are riding high in fifth in Germany's top flight, odds on to secure a European place.
A report has claimed Liverpool and United have both sent representatives to watch the defender, who is emerging as a real top prospect.
They will have to act quickly, because with the money around in German football at present, there is every chance he could be poached by one of the country's big guns, especially with Dortmund set to receive a huge fee for Mario Gotze.
Both sides are interested in centre-backs, with United looking at more long-term options to replace Rio Ferdinand eventually, but Liverpool's need is more pressing with Jamie Carragher retiring, and difficult seasons for Coates and Skrtel.
Here are five facts you need to know about Matthias Ginter:
1) Ginter is 19-years-old and has made 22 appearances for Freiburg this season - playing 90 minutes in each of their last 10 matches, scoring once.
2) He is the current Germany under-19 captain, where he is managed by former Liverpool man Christian Ziege.
3) Ginter's present contract at Freiburg runs until the summer of 2015.
4) Two days after he turned 18, he became the youngest goalscorer in his club's history.
5) Ginter is a skilful player who has an eye for a pass as well as a dangerous shot on him, which is why he has been tipped as a future international partner for Mats Hummels.
He can be seen heading home a free-kick here...
Would Ginter be a good investment?
image: © tjuel