Here is a note of 11 things that happened on this day in history
1. 1661 - Charles II is crowned King of England.
2. 1616 - Playwright William Shakespeare dies in Stratford-on-Avon, England.
3. 1932 -The New Royal Shakespeare Theatre opens in Shakespears's birthplace of Stratford-upon-Avon. It had been rebuilt after a fire destroyed the original Shakespeare Memorial Theatre
4. 1944 - 2000 bombers and fighters from Britain, and another 1000 launch from Italy, launch an attack on German Plane Plants in Germany, Bucharest and Ploesti
5. 1984 - Scientists announce the discovery of the HIV retrovirus, the fatal disease and is hailed as a 'monumental breakthrough' in medical research
6. 1984 - Singer Marvin Gaye, the former Motown singer who had numerous hits including I Heard It Through the Grapevine, is shot to death by his father at age 45
7. 1990 - Actor Dev Patel is born
8. 1998 - James Earl Ray, the convicted killer of black American civil rights leader Martin Luther King, dies in prison
9. 2001 - A former personal assistant to the Duchess of York stands accused of murdering her boyfriend
10. 2001 - Former Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic is arrested by Serbian authorities at his Belgrade villa, on suspicion of corruption, abuse of power, and embezzlement
11. 2005 - The first video is uploaded to YouTube.com
Source: BBC, Wikipedia, historyorb.com, infoplease.com, history.co.uk, brainyhistory.com, on-this-day.com