The 23-year-old Cameroonian is also courting interest from Tottenham. So who is he?
It seems as likely as ever that Marseille defender Nicolas N’Koulou will be the subject of a bidding war this summer after it was revealed he looks set to leave the South of France this summer.
With Marseille looking to balance their books it has long been reported that several of their marquee talents could be up for grabs in the summer and the 23-year-old is prepared to take the hit and sacrifice himself for the club. That or he just wants to leave and can’t be upfront about it.
In an interview with Sky Sports, obviously done to attract English attention, he said:
"The club and me are together on my future. If they receive an offer they can't refuse, then we will have to part company. Marseille is a great club and I love playing for them. They are part of my life."
So what are the five main facts you need to know about this player?
1. Nicolas N’Koulou is in fact a shortened version of his full name; Nicolas Alexis Julioz N’Koulou N’Doubena. We can see why he shortened it; imagine Gary Neville getting his tongue around that.
2. He started his career in the Kadji Sport Academy in Doula, Cameroon. The academy has produced several top Cameroonian talents over the years including the likes of Samuel Eto’o Carlos Kameni and Aurelien Chedjou.
3. In 2007 he moved to Monaco where he became a member of the youth team aged just 17 but it was not long before he made his debut aged just 18 against FC Lorient in 2008.
4. Such form saw him linked with numerous teams including Hull City, Sevilla, Atletico Madrid and Lyon and not for the first time Arsenal. In the end he joined Marseille on a four-year-deal in 2011.
5. He made his debut for the national team in 2008 and has since gone on to represent The Indomitable Lions 36 times including at the 2010 FIFA World Cup. He also played for the under-23 side at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
Would you like to see N’Koulou at your club this summer?
image: © T1o