Manchester United have been linked with going after Groningen defender Virgil van Dijk this summer.
Manchester United are one of the sides always looking to add to their squad in terms of youth and quality. There are several reasons Virgil van Dijk would be a solid addition to the current squad.
United have been linked with several centre backs over the last couple of weeks amidst reports that Sir Alex Ferguson is already preparing for the eventual retirement of Rio Ferdinand and the possible departure of Nemanja Vidic - And if a deal to sign Ezequiel Garay does not work out then van Dijk could become a solid alternative.
Here are five facts about him...
1) He is a tall defender coming in at six feet and four inches tall, he’s only 21-years-old.
2) He’s already played for the Netherlands at two different levels; Under-19s where he’s played just the one game and the Under-21s where he’s played three games.
3) He can play in any position along the back four although his best role is as a centre back on either side.
4) FC Groningen signed him on a free contract from Willem II which means they make an instant profit if they sell him for any fee.
5) He’s accumulated 53 appearances for his current side in Dutch football and has scored five goals in the process.
Decent prospect United fans?
image: © Paolo Camera