Ruben Loftus-Cheek better get used to all the press attention he is getting because if he lives up to his potential it wont be the last of it. What can we tell you about the man of the moment?
Much has been made this week over the agent battle to represent Chelsea teen sensation Ruben Loftus-Cheek.
The talented youngster has seen his name plastered across headlines throughout the continent this week after it was revealed he would earn £1.7 million before he turned 20.
But what can we tell you about him?
1) Ruben Loftus-Cheek has been at the Chelsea academy since the age of seven and is described on the clubs academy website as a ‘talented box-to-box midfielder who has also played at the back’.
2) He has previously captained England schoolboys in the Victory Shield and played for England at under-17 level; with whom he has won seven caps with his last game coming in the Saturday win against Portugal. A game in which fellow Chelsea youth-teamer Alex Kiwomya scored the winner.
3) In 2012 it was reported that Barcelona were interested in the talented youngster after he netted for England schoolboys against Wales in 2011. He was also linked with both Manchester United and City at the time before Chelsea signed him up to a new deal on his birthday in January.
Loftus-Cheek has also been a major presence in the Chelsea NextGen side who have made it to the semi-finals of the competition this season.
4) He played in the quarter-final victory against Juventus at Griffin Park and will be awaiting the result of the Arsenal v CSKA Moscow game at The Emirates tonight to discover his semi-final opponents.
5) Ruben is an undoubted lover of the game as he highlighted with this Tweet back in December 2012:
Break up from football tomorrow, to have a well deserved break. I doubt I can go through it without touching a ball lol #footballIsMyLife— Ruben Loftus-Cheek (@RubeLoftusCheek) December 21, 2012
So don’t say he is only in it for the money.
Do you think Loftus-Cheek is being overpaid? Will it affect him at all?
image: © Jason Bagley