While no official word has been made about their potential interest his agent Bjorn Etzel was quick to quell any suspicion of an imminent departure for the player.
"I only really know what I have read and seen in the press about West Ham watching him - I was at the last game too, but I did not speak to them or see them."
So what can we tell you about the talented striker that some feel is the successor to the departing Robert Lewandowski at the Westfalen?
1. Ginczek was born in Arnsberg on the 13th April 1991.
2. He started his career with SC Neheim who have an agreement in place with Dortmund surrounding the promotion of particularly talented players into the BVB ranks.
3. Other successful graduates from SC Neheim include Schalke 04’s talented forward Philipp Hoffman.
4. He signed on with Borussia Dortmund in 2007 aged 15.
5. His first season at the club was a resounding success as he finished top goalscorer of the under-17 league with 26 goals in 25 games which earned him a place in the Borussia Dortmund II side for 2008-09.
6. He made his debut for the II team in July 2009 and has scored 28 goals in 66 appearances for the team.
7. He spent last season on loan at VfL Bochum where he scored seven goals in 32appearances on the 2.Bundesliga.
8. This season he was again sent out on loan to St Pauli of Hamburg which has been a far more successful campaign with 13 goals in 25 appearances.
9. He has also been a regular for Germany’s youth teams from the age of 16 and will be part of the German under-21 squad that travel to Israel for the European Championships this summer.
10. Ginczek is also eligible to play for Poland through his Silesian roots which has in some way leant its weight to the comparisons with Lewandowski.
A lot may depend on whether Dortmund decide they want him to be part of the replacement program for Lewandowski when he departs in the summer, something his agent was not yet sure of:
"Dortmund don't know what they want to do yet. We will wait until later in March or even April, and then Dortmund will decide what will happen."
Here he is banging in a goal for VfL Bochum last season…
image: © wuestenigel