1. 0483 - St. Felix III begins his reign as Pope
2. 1781 - The German-born English astronomer Sir William Herschel discovers the planet Georgium Sidus, later known as Uranus
3. 1881 - Tsar Alexander II, the ruler of Russia since 1855, is killed in the streets of St. Petersburg by a bomb thrown by a member of the revolutionary People's Will group
4. 1930 - Clyde W. Tombaugh announces the discovery of the planet Pluto
5. 1933 – Banks in the U.S. begin to re-open after President Franklin D. Roosevelt mandates a 'bank holiday'
6. 1951 - The comic strip character Dennis the Menace appears for the first time in newspapers across the country
7. 1956 – Jamie Dimon is born
8. 1996 - A lone gunman goes on a shooting spree at a school in Dunblane, Scotland, killing 16 children and their teacher
9. 2004 - Luciano Pavarotti gives his final opera performance at the Metropolitan Opera in New York
10. 2008 – Gold prices on the New York Mercantile Exchange hit $1,000 per ounce for the first time
11. 2012 - Rebekah Brooks, the former News International chief, is arrested in relation to the phone hacking scandal on charges of 'suspicion of conspiring to pervert the course of justice'
image: © Bullion Vault
Source: BBC, Wikipedia, historyorb.com, infoplease.com, history.co.uk, brainyhistory.com, on-this-day.com, thepeopleshistory