Liverpool were downed 2-0 by Russian big spenders Zenit St Petersburg in the Europa League.
Liverpool still have a chance of qualifying for the last 16 in the second leg against Champions League drop-outs Zenit, but it will take a special performance and a magical atmosphere at Anfield to see to it.
The Reds lost 2-0 thanks to two second half goals in four minutes from Hulk and Sergei Semak.
Here are the key statistics to interest Liverpool fans from the game:
* Only one Liverpool midfielder or attacker completed more than 80 per cent of their passes; which was Steven Gerrard with 83 per cent.
* Jordan Henderson laid on two key passes leading to scoring opportunities, more than any other Reds player.
* Luis Suarez had five shots, more than any other player on the pitch, but only one was on target.
* Glen Johnson's five tackles was the joint highest of any player on the pitch, only matched by Zenit's £25 million midfielder Axel Witsel.
* Steven Gerrard made six interceptions, more than any Liverpool player, but two Zenit players outdid him with seven.
* Joe Allen's 63 pass attempts was the second highest of any midfielder on the pitch, Igor Denisov of Zenit attempted more, but only 78 per cent of Allen's were successful compared with Denisov's 86 per cent.
* Jamie Carragher made more clearances than any other Liverpool player with six.
Watch Hulk's opening strike below...
What did you make of Liverpool's performance last night and what do the statistics tell you?
image: © *dirk