Here is a note of 11 things that happened on this day in history
1. 1763 - The Treaty of Paris ends the French and Indian War. In the treaty France ceded Canada to England
2. 1840 - Queen Victoria marries Prince Albert
3. 1952 - Independent India's first general elections pass off peacefully, and returns Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru to power
4. 1962 - The Soviet Union exchanges captured American U-2 pilot Francis Gary Powers for Rudolph Abel, a Soviet spy held by the United States
5. 1964 - Bob Dylan releases The Times They Are a-Changin
6. 1992 - Mike Tyson, the former boxing champion, is found guilty of raping Desiree Washington, a Miss Black America contestant. He is given a 10 year prison term with four years suspended.
7. 1996 - The IRA admits planting the bomb that exploded in the Docklands area of London the day before
8. 1999 - An avalanches kills at least 10 people when it roared down the French Alps, 30 miles from Geneva
9. 2005 - Clarence House announces The Prince of Wales and long-term partner Camilla Parker Bowles are engaged
10. 2005 – American playwright Arthur Miller dies
11. 2009 – The communication satellites Iridium 33 and Kosmos-2251 collide in orbit. Both are destroyed.
Source: BBC, Wikipedia, historyorb.com, infoplease.com, history.co.uk, brainyhistory.com, on-this-day.com