Alan Pardew has recently commented that he hopes the high profile signing of Mathieu Debuchy from Lille will be enough to convince his higher profile players that the club means business over the rest of the season. It would also strengthen the spine of the Newcastle side significantly.
Here are five facts about the 27-year-old.
1) Debuchy has only ever played professional football for Lille. He joined the club at eight-years-old and made it into the first team squad at 18-years-old.
2) He has won 12 international caps for France and has scored a single goal. He only won his first cap in November 2011.
3) His best season for Lille was the 2010-2011 campaign when he made an accumulative total of 49 appearances scoring two goals. He has scored four goals in a season on three occasions; 2004/2005, 2005/2006 and 2011/2012.
4) He has two player honours (Ligue 1 2010-2011 and French Cup in the same season) and one individual honour (Ligue 1 Team of the Year 2011-2012) to his name so far in his career.
5) He is predominantly a right full back but can play down the left and has been used as a defensive midfield player, which is where he started his career.
Do you think Debuchy will help Newcastle fight for a European place?
image: © jack_pickard