It is being reported today by the Mail that former Manchester goalkeeper Ron-Robert Zieler is a target for Liverpool to replace Pepe Reina, either in January or next summer, with Jack Butland of Birmingham City another alternative.
Zieler would be a brave man to jump ship to United's rival club, but he can hope both sets of fans will go easy on him on the basis he did not actually play a first team game for the Red Devils.
Nevertheless, Scott Wootton, who made a switch in the opposite direction isn't exactly a popular name among the Liverpool support, although United fans don't seem to hold it against the young centre-back.
So who is Zieler? Here are 10 facts about the shot stopper...
1) Zieler now 23 is an international goalkeeper for Germany with two caps to his name.
2) However the performances did not go well; his first saw him concede three against Ukraine - the first debutant to do so for Die Mannschaft, and in his second game he was sent off against Argentina - the first ever German goalkeeper to be red carded.
3) Zieler was on United's books for five years, signing with the youth team in 2005 before finally leaving on a Bosman in 2010 after failing to progress through the ranks and seeing his career stunted by injury.
4) At United he helped the club win the Lancashire Senior Cup in 2008 - Against Liverpool in a 3-2 win.
5) He has had some success at international level, he was the goalkeeper as Germany's under-19 side won the 2008 European Championships in their age group.
6) Zieler did play some professional minutes in England, he enjoyed a spell on loan with Northampton Town during the 2008-09 season.
7) Zieler remains at Hannover, where he has a contract until 2015, with a reported £12.2 million buyout clause.
8) He has conceded 27 goals in 15 Bundesliga games this season, Pepe Reina by comparison has concede 14 goals in 11 Premier League matches for Liverpool.
9) Intriguingly, Zieler shares the same agent as Liverpool centre-back Martin Skrtel
10) Zieler has only saved one penalty in his career so far, against Werder Bremen's Diego two seasons ago.
Here is a video of him in action...
Would you want Zieler at Liverpool? United fans how would you feel about it?